Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dreams

Dreams really can come true.

As I sit here at my computer, reflecting upon my time at the LA FOS on HMS Surprise, I realize that I've had some significant moments, while "just passing time." Moments of getting to know my crewmates better. Being pulled into a newspaper interview by a holder of a Master's Ticket, who also happens to be a red-headed woman. Passing time swapping cooking "tidbits" with a professional chef on the Bounty. Having a few beers with crewmen from the USCG Eagle. Refining my (two trip) technique on trying to provision a ship's galley. Starting to learn another ship's "ropes" and being trusted to DO a new job because I'm not exactly a green hand any more.

And being aloft underway ... Had you asked me if this was even a remote possibility a couple of years ago, I would have laughed myself silly. After all, middle-aged women just don't DO that sort of thing. Do they? The answer is a resounding Hell Yes!!

I used to ask myself, what the next adventure in my life will be. Now, I ask WHEN my next adventure will be! And I'm darned sure that that majority will be with the San Diego Maritime Museum and on it's ships. There's a lifetime of learning there. All it takes is a willingness to learn, get dirty, and be a good shipmate.

Fair Winds and Following Seas ... it's not just a toast; it's a blessing!

Aimee